This episode features The Family Tree, originally released in 1983 by Antic Publishing. It was developed by Harry Koons.
Advertisement from Antic’s “The Catalog” insert located in the March 1988 issue of Antic magazine:
The Family Tree in Action
At boot …
After the first program load, you need to insert the data disk. Make sure its either been used before, or if it’s blank make sure it’s formatted:
After the data disk is loaded, the bottom of the tree is displayed. In this case, an empty data set:
Defining the bottom most person or “acorn”. Acorn is a term I dubbed for the nodes in the tree, and not endorsed by the manual. This is who the tree is for:
Defining the father (or any person for that matter) is a four step process:
This is the only way to save:
Extended Generation Edit
Moving one of the grandparent “acorns” to the base to work on further extensions of the tree:
Displaying data for a person (or “acorn”). Repeat this four times to see all data:
Printing from any of the three print commands. Each command is for a specific printer:
The boot screen for the documentation:
Choose to print to screen or printer:
Printing documentation to the printer:
Displaying documentation to the screen:
Oops! An error (in this case unrecoverable due to unformatted disk):
The Family Tree uses Atari DOS 2.0. The contents of the disk can be seen in this screenshot:
The files are:
- DOS.SYS is Atari DOS 2.0s.
- DUP.SYS is Atari DOS interface.
- AUTORUN.SYS is the autoloader for the BASIC program file TREE.
- TREE.PIC is the tree picture used as the interface.
- A1.DAT is a data file that has the authors family tree present.
On a new empty data disk, only the data files are present:
Dump of the custom data file created for reviewing:
Print for Atari printer using 10 CPI:
Print for Atari printer using proportional font:
Print for Epson printer using 10 CPI:
Print 4 generations for Epson printer:
- Inverse ATASCII Atari AtariWriter: https://inverseatascii.info/2015/09/24/s2e01-atari-atariwriter/
- Inverse ATASCII VisiCorp VisiCalc: https://inverseatascii.info/2015/01/13/s1e8-visicalc/
- Atari Mania: http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-family-tree-_18534.html
- Marty McFly Jr. family tree: http://www.thefullwiki.org/Marty_McFly,_Jr.
- Antic Podcast interview: http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-152-art-prag-mapware-starware-and-astrology
- Antic Magazine archive: http://www.atarimagazines.com
- Antic Magazine @ Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/antic-magazine